3/11/13

Rewards of coincidence

We're on vacation in London - I turn on the laptop this morning to start searching some more about this great city - so many incredible places to see, too many more things to do - and what is the Google homepage?  A tribute to Douglas Adams!
But for sincere coincidence I brought along for reading on the plane at last minute my 1988 paperback version of Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency - a very well traveled, dog-eared, stained, and often-read version of the book - who's central premise is about... the interconnectedness of things!
more....


Douglas Adams humor and clever word play are delectable enough but it was his thoughts and ideas that were an absolute safe-habor for many of my own young suspicions about life, the universe, and everything while growing up.  I took away such a satisfyingly feeling of "no, don't worry, you're not crazy - it'll all be explained proper to you one day" that was 180 degree counterculture to everything I was exposed and taught to learn that seemed inexplicitly very unnatural, incorrect, and wrong.   I have revisited countless times Dirk's adventures in holism and the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy trilogy of four books, not just for entertaining escape from a contorted reality, but as reassuring, contemplative, meditative havens - these books for me are True canon.

So, coincidence?  Meh - doesn't mean anything.  But when it does happen - it is so incredibly rewarding to see all this chaos is connected - & especially while on holiday!  What a gift!